- This Advent, "Come Away to the Quiet," and prepare for Christmas by opening your heart to Baptism in the Holy Spirit and an experience of a New Pentecost from Dec. 8-10. Check-in is at 5:30 p.m., with dinner served at 6:00. The cost is $165 and the event takes place at Loyola Retreat House located at 700 Killinger Road, Gren. For more information, call 330-896-2315 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit loyolaretreathouse.com to register.
- The New York City Ballet dancers will perform the leading roles in The Nutcracker on Dec. 8 at 7:30 p.m., Dec. 9 at 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. and Dec. 10 at 2 p.m. at the Canton Palace Theatre, 605 Market Ave. N. Admission is $21 to $25 for adults and $17 to $19 for children. Reserved seat tickets can be purchased online at cantonballet.com, by calling 330-455-7220 or at the ballet office in the Canton Cultural Center for the Arts, 1001 Market Ave. N. The office is closed Friday and Sunday. Performances will be held in the Palace Theatre.
- The Coffee and Cookies Blanket Drive Open House will be held by Shared Blessings to provide blankets, gloves, scarves and hats to the men, women and children of Hope Outreach Ministries Refuge of Hope Family Living Center Canton Calvary Mission. Stop in and enjoy Christmas cookies, coffee and cocoa with your friends from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at St. Stephen Martyr Church on the corner of Fulton and Dressler Roads in Jackson Township. For more information, call 330-575-0295.
-First Friends Church invites the community to join in for a night of song and worship. Singer, songwriter and musician Josh Lavender of Indianapolis, Indiana will lead the audience in traditional Christmas worship. Additionally, he will publicly debut his own Christmas songs. First Friends Church is at 5455 Market Ave. N, Canton. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. and concert begins at 7:00 p.m. Tickets are $5 each and can be purchased at the church or at eventbrite.com. Fee applies to tickets purchased online.
- The Jackson High School Music Department will present An Evening of Music at 7 p.m. at the school. This event will feature the symphony band, seven-thirty big band, chorale and Jacks-N-Jills. Tickets are $10 and can be purchased at www.jcpajackson.org.
- At 6 p.m., the Children’s Department of the Massillon Public Library invites kids in grades 3 to 8 to attend Harry Potter Trivia Night. Kids are invited to bring their friends and challenge them to trivia from all of the Harry Potter books. Fun prizes for the winners. Magic-themed snacks will be provided. Registration is required for this free program. For more information, call 330-832-5037 or visit www.massillonlibrary.org. The library is at 208 Lincoln Way E. The Second Street entrance is handicapped accessible.
- The 10-Year Retrospective exhibition show featuring artwork that has been added to the Little Art Gallery’s permanent collection during Elizabeth Blakemore’s tenure as curator will open. The exhibit will be on display through Jan. 21, 2018. Pieces included celebrate the development of the Little Art Gallery’s permanent collection for the past decade. Multifaceted works selected for the show the show include ceramics, blown glass, metalsmithing, mezzotint, painting, drawing and more with pieces dated 1890 to 2014. The gallery of the North Canton Public Library is home to a permanent collection of more than 200 pieces of original artwork by area artists and those whose work has had an impact on the community. For more information, call 330-499-p4712 x331 or email email@example.com.
- At 6 p.m., the Children’s Department of the Massillon Public Library, 208 Lincoln Way E, invites kids in grades 3 to 8 to attend Harry Potter Trivia Night. Kids are invited to bring their friends and challenge them to trivia from all of the Harry Potter books. Fun prizes for the winners. Fun magic-themed snacks will be provided. Registration is required for this free program. For more information, call 330-832-5037 or visit www.massillonlibrary.org.
- A free seminar, "Today’s Opportunities in Real Estate", will be presented by DeHoff Realtors from 6 to 7 p.m. at the agency’s corporate office, 821 S. Main St., North Canton. It is an in-depth seminar covering career opportunities in the real estate industry. The session will cover the ins and outs of the business, how it has changed during the past few years, and current opportunities within the industry. Reservations are necessary. Contact the agency’s Career Advisor at 330-305-5202 or 330-305-5203, or email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com to reserve a seat.
- A basic computer class is being offered at 3 p.m. at the Massillon Public Library. Attendees will learn how to use a computer, then practice using a mouse and keyboard. Hear about the hardware and software parts of a computer system. No previous experience needed. The classes are held in the Library's auditorium, are free and registration is required. For more information or to register, stop by or call 330-832-9831, ext. 327. The library is at 208 Lincoln Way East. The Second Street entrance is handicapped accessible.
- The Canton Christian Women's Connection is hosting "The Sounds of Christmas" luncheon at The Fairways at Arrowhead, 1500 Rogwin Cir. SW, North Canton. The lunch buffet and program begin at 11:30 a.m. Entertainment includes the Northwest Singers with seasonal songs and speaker Nancy Montagna, with her story "From Straight Jacket to Sound Mind." The cost is $13. RSVP by Dec. 11 to 330-837-6552 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Complementary childcare upon request.
- Walt Sanders and his 10-piece Cadillac Band will be performing a special tribute to Elvis, including many of his Christmas songs, at the Lions Lincoln Theatre in Massillon at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $15 and $20 and can be purchased online at www.lionslincolntheatre.org or by calling 1-800-838-3006. The Lions Lincoln Theatre is at 156 Lincoln Way E in Massillon. For more information, call 330-481-9105.
- Pittsburgh-based alt/indie-rock band James Drakes and the Chris Taylor Trio will be performing at George's Lounge, 229 Cleveland Ave. NW. The band has a fun, distinct sound. The show starts at 7 p.m. and will feature other musicians from Canton and from the region.
- The Shoji Tabuchi Holiday Show will be held at 12:30 p.m. at Croatian Lodge Ballroom in Eastlake. Shoji Tabuchi has been a favorite performer over the years, and he and his family will be presenting with warmth, humor and professional perfection. They will not only perform their Christmas and holiday music selections, but also a variety of other familiar tunes of times past. The ticket price includes transportation from St. Michael’s Church, lunch and the show. The cost is $105 per person.
- An Internet Basics class is being offered at 3 p.m. at the Massillon Public Library, 208 Lincoln Way E. Attendees will learn to navigate the Internet and World Wide Web. They will get an explanation and demonstration of popular web browsers. Prerequisites are experience using a mouse, keyboard, and the Windows operating system. The class is held in the Library's auditorium, are free and registration is required. For more information or to register, stop by or call 330-832-9831, ext. 327.
An Email Basics class will be offered at 3 p.m. at the Massillon Public Library, 208 Lincoln Way E. Attendees will learn how to create, use and navigate an Internet email account. Prerequisites are experience using a computer mouse, keyboard, the Windows operating system, and familiarity with navigating the World Wide Web. The classes are held in the Library's auditorium, are free and registration is required. For more information or to register, stop by or call 330-832-9831, ext. 327.