- Buchtel High School Class of 1962 will hold its 55th high school reunion from 6 to 10 p.m. with a "Howdy" party that includes heavy hor d’oeuvres. The cost is $15 per person and will be held at the Mustard Seed Market and Café, 3885 Medina Road, in Montrose. Memory books can be purchased for $15. From 6 to 11 p.m. Oct. 14 will be dinner, conversation, open bar and music at Todaro’s Party Center, 1820 Akron Peninsula Road. The cost is $55 per person and includes a memory book. To make reservations or for more information contact Nancy Cook Daniels, firstname.lastname@example.org, 330-882-6115 or Fred Gissendaner, email@example.com, 330-686-1773.
- Bassist and vocalist Katie Thiroux presents a concert at 8 p.m. at the Blu Jazz+, 47 E. Market St. Tickets are $25 and $20 in advance. For more information, call 330-252-1190 or visit http://bit.ly/2gXU615.
- Friends of the Portage Lakes Library will hold a members-only pre-sale from 3 to 5 p.m. Oct. 13. Join at the door for $5. Fill a bag for $5. All proceeds benefit library programs. No scanners. For more information, call the library 330-644-7050. On Oct. 14, there will be a book sale for the general public from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. The library is located at 4261 Manchester Road. The event is free and open to all, with hundreds of volumes of all types.
- Greentown United Methodist Church is holding a Swiss steak dinner from 5 to 7 p.m. Cost is $10 for adults and $4 for children ages 6 to 13, children ages 5 and under are free. The church is 3088 State St. NW. Carryout is available. The kitchen phone is 330-499-3262.
- One of A Kind Pet Rescue will host the Chase Your Tail 5k Run/Walk, and the one-mile Doggie Dash on Oct. 15. Racers can participate in any of the events with their dog. The races begin and end at Summit Lake Community Center, and will be run on both the road and the Towpath, taking participants on the floating Towpath Trail across the middle of Summit Lake. This event benefits One of A Kind Pet Rescue, a no-kill, no time-limit shelter. Register online at www.oneofakindpets.com/5k with a credit card. Early registration by Sept. 15 is $30, preregistration from Sept. 16 through Oct. 14 is $35, and race day registration is $40. Race day registration and packet pickup will begin at 7:30 a.m. at Summit Lake Community Center, 380 W. Crosier.
- Earn hiking spree credit alongside Summit Metro Parks Executive Director Lisa King. The hike begins at 6 p.m. at the Prairie Trail in Springfield Bog Metro Park, 1400 Portage Line Road.
- Green Valley United Methodist Church, 620 E. Turkeyfoot Lake Road, will hold a Pumpkin Fest from 5 to 8 p.m. The free event will feature hay rides, food, games, music and pumpkin decorating. Pumpkins will be provided. For more information, call the church at 330- 896-4357.
- Cleveland Clinic Akron General and the American Red Cross of Summit, Portage and Medina Counties chapter are teaming up to offer free hands-only CPR and Automated External Defibrillator (AED) training. In just one hour you can get the knowledge and skills to be ready to respond quickly should a loved one or friend collapse from a sudden cardiac arrest. The class will be held from 1 to 2 p.m. and 2:20 to 3:30 p.m. at 1940 Town Park Blvd., Green. Register by calling 330-344-2462.
- At 6:30 p.m., at the Summit County Main Branch Library, 60 S. High St., Akron, learn the differences of various types of intellectual property (patents, trademarks, copyrights and trade secrets), what they are, how to get them and how much they cost. Find out how best to protect your creative work. Presented by Akron-Summit County Science & Technology Librarian Curtis Bower. Please register in advance for this program at 330-643-9075.
- The Portage Lakes Historical Society is hosting an open house from 6:30 to 8 p.m. at the Akron Rotary Camp, 4460 Rex Lake Drive (off Route 619). Light refreshments will be served and the public is welcome. Parking overflow lot at Wayfarer Lodge, 4395 Rex Lake Drive. George Beckham's vast postcard collection will be on display.
- Grace United Church of Christ (UCC), 13275 Cleveland Ave. NW, Uniontown, is holding a free community lunch from 11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. The meal is free. For more information, contact the church office at 330-699-3255 from 9 a.m. to noon, Monday-Friday.
- From 10:30 to 11:30 a.m., children ages 3 to 6 and their adult companions learn all about skeletons of animals that lived in the park. A short hike and craft are included. Make arrangements for younger children unable to remain in infant seats or strollers. Register in advance. For information, call 330-865-8065. The event is at Firestone Metro Park/Coventry Oaks Area, 40 Axline Ave.
- Cleveland Clinic Akron General Visiting Nurse Service will hold a "Joyful Tastes of Life" benefit from 6 to 9 p.m. at St. George’s Family Center, 3204 Ridgewood Road. The event is casual features the best seasonal foods from local restaurants, craft beer from local breweries, and wines from local wineries and distributors. All proceeds go toward end-of-life hospice care and supportive services at Akron General Visiting Nurse Service. The evening includes a silent auction, exciting raffle and live music by Patrick Munford. The event will be emceed by WQMX’s Sue Wilson and WONE’s Tim Daugherty. Raffle tickets are on sale now for a $1,700 vacation package to New York City. The second place raffle prize is $500 cash and third place is an Apple iPad. Only 1,500 raffle tickets will be sold. Tickets are $60 each and raffle tickets are $10 per ticket or 6 for $50. All tickets are available online at akrongeneral.org/joy or by calling the Akron General Foundation, 330-344-6888.
- Make an impact by joining Wacoal in its mission to help end breast cancer with Fit for the Cure, which is seeking to fit 1 million women for a new bra, and donating more than $5 million to Susan G. the Komen Foundation, by attending the event during hors at Macy's in Summit Mall in Fairlawn. Receive a complimentary bra fitting at the event conducted by a Wacoal fit specialist. When you show up and participate in a free bra fitting, Wacoal will donate $2 to Susan G. Komen, to benefit breast cancer research and community health programs. Wacoal will also donate an additional $2.
- Boy Scout Troop 118 is hosting an All-You-Can-Eat Breakfast Buffet from 7:30 to 11 a.m. at Manchester United Methodist Church, 5625 Manchester Road, in New Franklin. The cost is $7 for adults, $6.50 for seniors and children under 12.
- The Green Sibshop will hold a program from 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. for kids who have a sibling with health or developmental needs. Sibshops is a recreational and fun program in a safe environment for brothers and sisters of kids with special needs. Events are offered to children currently in grades 3 through 6. The format includes opportunities to meet other siblings of children with special health and developmental needs, and to have fun. Those interested or who want to register a child may visit us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/greensibshops/ or call the church office at 330-896-1936. Lunch provided. No charge. Pre-registration required.
- Manchester area senior citizens are invited to attend the Senior Citizens Breakfast/Fall Play Preview at 8 a.m. at Manchester High School. Seniors will receive breakfast and preview the play "Parents Just Don’t Understand". RSVP to 330-882-3291 are appreciated.
- A Community Fall Festival will be held from noon to 3 p.m. at Lakeview Lighthouse Church, 1065 Kubler Trail. Lakeview Lighthouse Ladies Ministry and Youth Group hosts the festival, chili cook-off, and basket auction. There will be free doorprizes, chili, and the basket auction benefiting the Ladies Ministry and Youth Group. Baskets of all themes, great for Christmas giving, with the bidding starting as low as $5. Free children's activities start at 1 p.m., including games, craft, hayrides and face painting.