SPRINGFIELD TWP. The Springfield Board of Trustees are holding special meetings to update the community on township programs, upcoming levies and to receive public input.
Trustee Dean Young said he thought it was a good "to give people an opportunity to give us some input."
The next special meeting will be held at 6 p.m. Sept. 28 at Dallas Fraley Park at the corner of Brunk and Neal roads. There will be no regular trustees meeting at the Town Hall that night. A special meeting will follow at 6 p.m. Oct. 5 at the sports complex at JEDD Park, 2275 Pickle Road.
In township business during the Sept. 14 meeting:
- Trustees approved transfers of fire department funds into newly created fund lines for the department.
- Removed police officer Shawn Brady from probationary status, effective Sept. 11. Also, trustees accepted the resignation of officer Christopher Malita, effective Sept. 30. Young said Malita has accepted a full-time job.
"We hate to lose him but we understand that he needs a full-time position," said Police Chief Dave Hoover.
- After a executive session, trustees approved a motion, effective Sept. 1, that payment to the township legal counsel be made payable to attorney Warren R. Price, and that the Agreement for Retainer of Legal Counsel be amended to reflect employment of Warren R. Price instead of the Okey Law Firm.
- Parks and Recreation Director Doug Foltz said the food truck festival held by the fire and parks departments was a success.
"It was a beautiful day and we brought out 3,000 to 4,000 people," Foltz said.
- Hoover said the auxiliary police is taking applications for volunteers (VASP members).
"We do appreciate all the volunteers in that program that help us out," he said.
Applications can be picked up at the police station or by calling VASP coordinator Linda Lohr at 330-734-4143.
- Trick or Treat will be held from 4-6 p.m. Oct. 28. Hoover said the township is changing the time because it gets dark earlier.
"We don't want to see any kids get hurt, so for safety issues, we have changed the time to 4 to 6 p.m."
- The master gardeners program on composting will be at 7 p.m. Oct. 4 at the senior center.
The next regular scheduled meeting will be held at 6 p.m. Oct. 12 at Town Hall, 2459 Canfield Road.