The Canton Fire Department and Greentown Volunteer Fire Department are collecting food and personal items for people affected by Hurricane Harvey.
Justin Deierling, a firefighter and paramedic with both departments, said he organized the collection drive because it's "what we do."
"We just want to help people," he added.
Deierling contacted the Akron-Canton Regional Foodbank, which suggested items to assist the Feeding America food bank network and food banks in Texas. The current focus is on the aftermath in Texas, but Deierling said additional departments might participate in an extended or additional collection to help those hit by Hurricane Irma.
Items can be dropped off at the fire stations during the day, before 9 p.m., through Sept. 16.
Where to donate
- Canton fire station No. 4 at 2502 Cleveland Ave. NW
- Canton fire station No. 5 at 3701 Tuscarawas St. W
- Canton fire station No. 8 at 1330 Dueber Ave. SW
- Greentown fire station at 10100 Cleveland Ave. NW in Lake Township
What to donate
- Hand-held snacks (granola bars)
- Ready-to-eat food in pull-top cans
- High-protein food in pouches or pull-top cans (tuna, beef stew, chili and canned chicken)
- Peanut butter
- Cleaning supplies (bleach, non-bleach and paper towels)
- Personal hygiene items (toothbrushes and toothpaste)
What not to donate
- Other non-essential items