JACKSON TWP. During the regular meeting on Aug. 22, the Jackson Township Trustees accepted a donation of ballistic vests to the fire department for firefighters/paramedics to wear on calls when needed. The donation came from the Jackson Township Rotary Club.
The value of the donation is $12,174. The Jackson Township Rotary Club raised the money through the 2017 Field of Honor Field of Heroes flag exhibit held during the Memorial Day weekend.
Fire Chief Tracy Hogue said the Rotary Club contacted him a year and a half ago to see what the fire department needed.
"I told them that we were looking at ballistic vests for our firefighters, and now we have 21 vests for them wear all thanks to the Jackson Rotary," Hogue said.
- Patrick Snyder, president of the Jackson Baseball Association, presented a donation check for $3,500 to Park Supervisor Dave Ruwadi.
- Accepted the retirement from firefighter Robert Eric Gunn after serving the department full-time since 1985. Gunn also volunteered as a firefighter for many years before becoming full time.
- Paid bills in the amount of $561,706.
- Appointed one full-time patrol officer Ryan C. Mack effective, Aug. 25, at a salary of $51,677 a year and one part-time conditional police patrol officer, Andrew T. Priest.
- Authorized a new lease with William C. Hensel to lease land for the township to dump non-toxic waste and to use part of it as a firing range for the police department.
- Approved the purchase of a swing for North Park at a cost of $11,562 from GameTime.
- Authorized spending $74,000 in engineering services to determine if the 9 acres of land used for Keck Park on Wales Road and the surrounding 21 acres can be used for anything other than a park.
- Approved updating the audio-visual equipment in the safety center. The fire and police department will share the cost at $16,250 each for a total of $32,500. Each department received a $5,000 donation from a private donor to go towards the cost of the upgrade.
UP NEXT: The next regularly scheduled meeting is 5 p.m. Sept. 12 at the Township Hall.