The Springfield Township Board of Trustees held several special meetings in the months of July and August.
During the July 27 meeting, trustees approved resolutions to request Summit County Fiscal Officer Kristen Scalise to certify tax valuation and proceeds for proposed parks and recreation levies in the amounts of 1, 1.3 and 1.5 mills.
Then on Aug. 3, trustees held a special meeting and approved a resolution to proceed with a five-year, 1.3-mill levy on the Nov. 7 ballot for the township's Parks Department, with collection beginning in 2018.
Also approved at the meeting was a resolution to proceed to levy a 3-mill renewal police levy on the November ballot.
In other business, trustees:
- Authorized Brian Feliciano of Oswald Companies and Dave Lewis, director of corporate benefits at NFP Corporate Services to obtain quotes for medical insurance for the township.
-Aproved a letter of support for the removal of the Gorge Dam.
- Canceled a May 25 contract with American Environmental Requisite for the asbestos abatement at 2296 Pressler Road due to lack of performance. A motion to assign the work order to PS Construction for the removal of asbestos, prior to demolition at the Pressler Road property, not to exceed $1,100, was approved.
- Approved a "then for now" expenditure to repair an ambulance in the amount of $1,064.
- Approved the police department to trade a 2005 Ford Expedition to the Lakemore Police Department for a 2008 Ford Crown Victoria.
- Approved the purchase of duty and practice ammunition at state bid pricing from Kiesler’s in the amount of $3,092, plus shipping.
After the Aug. 3 meeting, trustees discovered proper public notification of the special meeting had not been met and held two special meetings, Aug. 7 and 9, to reapprove and ratify the Aug. 3 agenda.
The board will hold a special meeting at 6 p.m. Aug. 24 for zoning nuisance abatement and tax certifications and any other matters brought before the board.
The next regular trustees meeting will be held at 6 p.m. Sept. 14 at Town Hall on Canfield Road.