GREEN Local businesses play a large role in supporting school districts and activities they offer.
During the July 10 meeting, the board awarded 13 businesses with an award for the 2017 Ohio School Boards Business Honor Roll. Superintendent Jeff Miller said the businesses selected have had a positive impact on the district through donations, supporting scholarships or programs.
Offiicals selected one business from each school building and eight for special projects a business collaborated with the district.
Businesses recognized include; District Boutique, Splash and Dash, Novus Eye Clinic, North Coast Theatrical, Acme Fresh Market, Giant Eagle Market District, Fred Martin Nissan, Sheetz, Romeo’s Pizza, Cutler Real Estate, Spoonhower Orthodontics, American Printing and Lakes Heating.
Representatives from District Boutique, Spoonhower Orthodontics and Cutler Real Estate received their awards at the meeting and the remaining plaques will be delivered to each business.
Board president Bob Campbell said there were a lot of repeat businesses on the list from past years.
"We appreciate the generosity," Campbell said.
In other business July 10, the board:
- Approved the financial report and payment of bills by the treasurer.
- Approved the consent calendar that included the retirement of Sharon Lawrence, a secretary who has worked in the school wing of the Central Administration Building for many years. Miller said she was a tremendous asset and he wishes her well in the future. He also said she leaves big shoes to fill.
- Heard from Assistant Superintendent Dan Lowmiller about summer programs in the district including math support at the Green Library for grades 3-7 and a summer reading program at Green Primary School, which 75 students are a part of.
- Approved an amendment to the superintendent’s contract for years three, four and five so that any raise the superintendent gets matches the increase with the recently approved union contract for teachers.
- Heard from several board members praising the turf project at Green Memorial Stadium, which was recently completed.
The next Green Local Schools board meeting will be at 6:30 p.m. Aug. 21 at the Central Administration Building.