NEW FRANKLIN  A public hearing will be held at 6 p.m. Aug. 2 at New Franklin City Hall to hear public comments on a proposed ordinance to amend the New Franklin zoning code to add a marine-related use category.

At the New Franklin City Council meeting on July 5, council heard a third reading of the proposed ordinance and tabled it until the public hearing.

When the legislation was first introduced in June, Mayor Al Bollas explained that several marine type businesses have indicated an interest in coming into the city and he would like to see an area designated for these type of businesses. The city already has businesses along State Route 93 that sell and store boats.

The New Franklin Planning and Zoning Commission held its hearing on the ordinance on July 6 and voted to recommend that city council approve the ordinance to amend the zoning code.

Resurfacing/closure

Council approved a resolution authorizing the city to enter into an agreement with CTL Engineering to provide inspection services for the Center Road east resurfacing project. The inspection cost is $33,850.

New Franklin Law Director Tom Musarro explained that because it is an Ohio Department of Transportation project, an inspector is required on site.

Councilwoman Judy Jones questioned the need to hire an outside company. Bollas explained that the new city Deputy Service Director Brian Kepler, is taking the ODOT certification classes to be an inspector, but he does not yet have the experience to be the inspector on this project. The city’s engineering firm, GPD, recommended CTL for the project as written in the ODOT agreement.

Work is expected to begin on the project Aug. 1. ODOT is covering 80 percent of the cost of the project with a grant and the city will cover the other 20 percent of the project.

Bollas announced that the Vanderhoof Road bridge was closed starting July 10 for 120 days. The anticipated completion date is Oct. 31, 2017. Detour signs are posted.