GREEN The Green Local Schools Board of Education approved three-year contracts with the district's two labor unions - The Green Local Association of School Support (GLASS) and Ohio Association of Public School Employees (OAPSE) - during its June meeting.
GLASS members will receive raises of 2 percent, 2.25 percent and 3 percent during the next three years. In the fourth year, there is an option for an additional 2 percent raise if both sides agree. This is similar to the contract approved in May with Green Education Association (GEA), the district's teacher's union. The contract with OAPSE did not involve a structured series of raises, but it modified the pay step scale during the life of the contract.
Superintendent Jeffrey Miller thanks both unions for working together with the district's negotiation team to reach a fair settlement beneficial to both sides.
In other business, the board:
- Approved a lease to own agreement for five new school buses for five years to help upgrade to school's fleet of aging vehicles. They will be purchased from RUSH Bus Center through the Ohio Schools Council purchasing cooperative. Four of the vehicles with be standard passenger buses while the last one will be fitted with a wheel chair lift. Total cost will be $430,875. The lease proposal will be done through Santanders Leasing using permanent improvement funds for $91,216 per year.
- Approved a bid from Ellet Neon Signs in the amount of $127,763 for the installation of electronic signage at all five district buildings. A potential change order, not to exceed 10 percent, was included in the approval.
- Approved to raise the price of school lunches for the 2017-18 school year in the following amounts: Green High will go to $3.15, Green Middle School will go to $2.90, Green Intermediate will go to $2.90, Green Primary School will go to $2.65 and Greenwood Elementary will go to $2.65.
- Heard a presentation from Assistant Superintendent Dan Lowmiller on new instructional material for purchase for next year. These included materials for writing in grades K-3 for $13,732.17 from Heinemann; AP History for $3,549.00 from Centage Learning; and American History and American Government for $54,486.80 from Pearson. All money will come from the Permanent Improvement Fund.
- Approved the payment of all bills submitted by the treasurer, the final appropriations for Fiscal Year 2017, and the appropriation of funds for the first quarter of Fiscal Year 2018, not to exceed 25 percent of the final 2017 final appropriations.
- Accepted donations for $9,500 from the Green Middle School Parent Teacher Student Association (PTSA) to Green Middle School to upgrade the media center. The Green High PTSA donated $1,000 for the Green High courtyard project.
- After passing the Consent Calendar, Miller spoke out in praise of retiring teacher Jane Meyer, who will be retiring at the end of July after 35 years of teaching. He cited her work ethic and professionalism, along with her dedication to her students and stated she will be missed.
The board then adjourned into executive session to handle personnel matters.
The next board meeting will be at 6:30 p.m. July 10 inside council chambers at the Central Administration Building (CAB).