- Incoming fully registered kindergarteners in Springfield Local Schools can sign up for Safety Town by July 28. The program is free and includes three fun-filled mornings from 9 to 11 a.m., learning about bicycle, stranger, poison, fire, good touch/bad touch, home and bus safety. The program takes place Aug. 8-10 at Springfield High School. All registration forms must be turned in to Dustin Boswell at the Springfield Local School Administration offices at 2410 Massillon Road.
- Owners of all pleasure boats large and small are encouraged by the U.S. Coast Guard a local Marine Law Enforcement Officials to have a free vessel Safety Check (VSC) performed on their boats this summer. Free VSC's are being offered by the members of the Akron Sail and Power Squadron from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Portage Lakes Manchester Road Boat Ramp at 5031 Manchester Road; first come first served. For more information, visit www.akronpowersquadron.com. The dates for inspections are July 1, 8, 9 and Aug. 12 and 27.
- A Horns and Things concert will kick off at 7 p.m. at Goodyear Heights Metro Park/Main Entrance, 2077 Newton Street. Enjoy the jazz music at this free concert, presented by the City of Akron. For more information, call 330-375-2311 or visit akronohio.gov.
- Springfield High School's Class of 1992 will hold its 25-year reunion at 7 p.m. at Wing Warehouse, 2215 E. Waterloo Road, Akron.
- Try stand-up paddleboarding, the fastest-growing water sport, to get a workout and enjoy nature at Nimisila Reservoir Metro Park. A certified instructor and a naturalist will guide you. No experience needed. Minimum age is 13; ages 13 to 17 must be with an adult participant. Participants must wear closed-toe shoes and be able to swim. Bring water, sunscreen, hat, sunglasses and wear clothes that can get wet. Fee includes use of paddleboard, paddle, life jacket and instruction. Space is limited. Cost: $15 per person. The program times are 10 a.m. to noon and 1 to 3 p.m. and registration is required. For information or to register, call 330-865-8065 or visit summitmetroparks.org. Meet at Lot C6, 6194 Christman Road, Green.
- The Portage County Chapter of International Parents Without Partners will have a picnic supper from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., which is open to the public, at the Ritchie Memorial Shelter House, 109 West Ave., Tallmadge. Please bring a covered dish to share. Afterward, the chapter will hold its monthly dance to 11 p.m. Cost is $6 for members and $8 for nonmembers. For more information, call Warrine at 330-322-9559.
- All ages can stop by the nature play area in Goodyear Heights, along the Alder Trail, and engage in fun, hands-on experiences with nature from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. A naturalist will be on hand to help guide you. Getting dirty is encouraged, so dress appropriately. The event takes place at the Pioneer Area, 550 Frazier Avenue. For information, call 330-865-8065.
- Mysterious and often misunderstood, bats are one of the most fascinating creatures of the night. Join staff to learn about these flying mammals. Nets will be set up to try to catch live bats for observation and data collection. The program is from 8:30 to 10 p.m. at Goodyear Heights Metro Park/Pioneer Area, 550 Frazier Avenue. For information, call 330-865-8065.
- Learn how these amazing "bugs" light up the summer sky. After a short presentation, we'll take a walk to look for fireflies and other creatures of the night. Bring a bug jar, flashlight and insect repellent. The program is from 8:30 to 9:30 p.m. at Goodyear Heights Metro Park/Pioneer Area, 550 Frazier Avenue. For information, call 330-865-8065. JULY 7
- Queen of Heaven Church, 1800 Steese Road, will hold an Independence Day mass at 9 a.m. in the pavilion (weather permitting), or inside the Church. This service will include patriotic songs in celebration of our nation’s birthday. Donut social follows the Mass. For more information, call 330-896-2345.
- Enjoy the Latin jazz music of Latin Jazz Orchestra at a free concert held at 7 p.m. at Goodyear Heights Metro Park/Main Entrance, 2077 Newton Street. For more, call 330-375-2311 or visit akronohio.gov.
- Rock with The Adjustments, a country and rock band, at Springfield Rocks. It is part of the Summer Concert Series at Lakefront Park Gazebo, 2491 Canfield Road in Springfield Township. The concert is held from 7 to 9 p.m. Check the concert hotline at 330-794-1739 or www.springfieldtownship.us for weather related cancellations.
- Regioster for the All-Star Jam Youth Skills Clinic which will be held July 14 in the LeBron James Arena at St. Vincent-St. Mary. Boys and girls of all abilities in grades 3 to 8 will have the opportunity to learn new basketball skills or strengthen existing ones. A statistician clinic will also be held for those who want to learn more about how to score a game and record team stats. The skills clinic is free and lunch will be provided. For more information, contact Reneé Pieronek at 330-762-9755.
- Cleveland Clinic Akron General Challenge Golf will host the Tom Gearhart Memorial golf Outing. Tee times are 8 a.m., 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. Golfers may register as a twosome or as an individual. Cost is $55 per person and includes lunch, green fees, cart and prizes. This is a fundraiser and proceeds benefit the Challenge Golf Program. For more information, call 330-784-5400.
- The Green Sibshop will be held from 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at Greensburg United Methodist Church, 2161 Greensburg Road. Sibshop is a recreational program for kids who have a brother or sister with special health or developmental needs. It is offered for those grades 3 through 6. To register, visit us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/greensibshops/ or call the church office at 330-896-1936. Lunch is provided, there is no charge for the program, but registration is required.
- Hike a different trail each month, taking a photographic record of the seasonal changes that happen. Take your own pictures or just enjoy the hikes. The hike is from 10 to 11:30 a.m. at Springfield Bog Metro Park, 1400 Portage Line Road. For information, call 330-865-8065.
- Paddle a portion of Nimisila Reservoir with a certified instructor and a naturalist to learn paddle strokes, safety and see wildlife around the water. Minimum age is 13; ages 13 to 17 must be with an adult. Participants must wear closed-toe shoes and be able to swim. Bring water, sunscreen, a hat, sunglasses and wear clothes that can get wet. Fee includes use of kayak, paddle, life jacket and instruction. Space is limited and advance registration is required. The cost is $15/person. For information, call 330-865-8065. Meet at Lot C6, 6194 Christman Road, Green.
- Coventry AARP #3820 will meet at 1:15 p.m. at the Portage Lakes Kiwanis Club Civic Center, 727 Portage Lakes Drive. Summit Up Cloggers will entertain. Free refreshments will be served. All are welcome to join.
- The Bluegrass Mountaineers (Bluegrass) will rock Springfield as part of the Summer Concert Series at Lakefront Park Gazebo, 2491 Canfield Road in Springfield Township. The concert is held from 7 to 9 p.m. Check the concert hotline, 330-794-1739 or www.springfieldtownship.us for weather related cancellations.
- Enjoy the blues classics of the Mostly Blues Band at a free concert beginning at 7 p.m. The concert is being held at the Goodyear Heights Metro Park/Main Entrance, 2077 Newton Street. For more information, call 330-375-2311 or visit akronohio.gov.
- The United Disability Services (UDS) is hosting the All-Star Jam 3-on-3 Basketball Tournament fundraiser at the St. Vincent-St. Mary LeBron James Arena. The event begins at 9 a.m. All proceeds will benefit the UDS All-Star Training Club inclusive sports program. This year’s honorary chair is St. Vincent-St. Mary Director of Athletics Willie McGee. The All-Star Jam is a family-friendly event packed with food, fun and plenty of hoops. The event will include grades 6-8, high school and adult/corporate divisions (co-ed teams welcome), and an inclusive division open to all players of all abilities. Entry fee for teams of up to 5 players is $60 (includes an event t-shirt). For more information or to registe,r contact Danielle Marino 330-762-9755, ext. 233, email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit www.AllStarJam.org. Volunteers are also needed.
- Portage Lakes AARP 2213 will hold a picnic from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Toric Lodge in Green. Please bring a covered dish and Bingo prize. Visitors are welcome. For more information, call 330-882-6019 or 330-644-4941.