COVENTRY TWP. A moment of silence began the most recent Coventry School Board Meeting in remembrance of the lives of two Coventry Middle School students who were killed when they were struck by a car while walking on South Main Street May 25. The accident sent a third student to the hospital.
During the June 21 school board meeting, the board reflected on the tragic loss of two students.
Board member Vicki Tavenier said there has been a lot of community support for the families involved.
Board member Dave Andrews said the support offered to students at Coventry Middle School was outstanding and the administration was on top of helping students from the beginning. He said the principals at the middle school made hospital visits to the students involved that night.
"In times of stress and tragedy, it really pulls everyone together," Andrews said. "Thank you to the community."
Board president Robert Wohlgamuth thanked the Coventry Fire Department and Summit County Sheriff's Office for the excellent work each did during this tragedy. He also thanked the trustees for being involved and helping the schools through this tough time.
In other business June 21, the board:
- Heard from Coventry Treasurer Mathew Muccio about the district’s finances. The district anticipates finishing fiscal year 2017 with a $1.8 million balance. Muccio said this is "incredible" considering the district started the year with $1.8 million and managed to pay $2.4 million back to the state for payment of a two-year loan. The district will pay the state another $2.4 million next year.
- Heard from Muccio about placing the exact same renewal levy on the ballot Nov. 7 that was defeated in May. Voters defeated the issue, a 9.91-mill levy that generates $2.88 million a year, by 283 votes.
- Accepted a $500 grant from Ohio Division of Natural Resources to be used for four projects involving birds for the district.
- The board approved the salary schedule for administrative positions, which will see no salary increases.
- The board also approved all the routine items for the start of next school year including fees, start times and student handbooks.
The next Coventry Local Schools board meeting will be at 6 p.m. July 12 at Lakeview Administrative Offices.