- First Friends Church of Canton with The Legacy Coalition is hosting Grandparenting Matters! Conference. Grandparents are incredibly important to their grandchildren and are uniquely positioned to influence them spiritually and otherwise. The conference will be held June 2 and 3, at the church, 5455 Market Ave. N, Canton. For more information, visit www.firstfriends.org or call 330-966-2800.
- Classes are filling up fast for Kids’ College, the summer program at Stark State College that develops students’ interests and creativity through unique learning opportunities. The camps programs run from June 5 to 29 at the SSC Advanced Technology Center on the main campus, 6200 Frank Avenue NW, Jackson Twp. Students can sign up for one, two, three or all four weeks of the sessions offered for grades one through seven. Courses are offered in arts, crafts, science, sports, food, culture, finance and more. A complete course list and registration are available at www.starkstate.edu/kidscollege, by calling 330-494-6170, ext. 4414, or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Angel Auction presented by the Aultman Women’s Board will be held at the Canton Civic Center to raise funds to benefit the Aultman Cancer Center. The auction includes entertainment, dinner, raffle prizes and hundreds of exclusive live and silent auction items. To make a donation, or for more information, visit www.aultmanfoundation.org and click on Women’s Board or call 330-363-6198.
- The Kiwanis Club of Belden Village Miles for Kids 5K event is being held at 9 a.m. at Stark State College with a free Kids Fun Run at 8:30 a.m. The event benefits Pathway Caring for Children of Canton and Association of Church Sports Recreation Ministries of Canton. Online registration is $25 through May 12 at www.runsighup.com. Wicking t-shirts will be provided to runners and walkers. The race begins at the Stark State College Advanced Technology Center 6200 Frank Ave. NW.
- The Dancing with the Massillon Stars will be held at 7 p.m. at the Lincoln Theatre. The fundraiser helps to pay for the continued restoration of the Lincoln Theatre as well as to provide entertainment and education outreach, so that this landmark can make an impression on the future. Tickets are $10 and are available online at lionslincolntheatre.com or at the door night of performance. For more information, call 330-575-0898, or 330-481-9105.
- The North Canton Lions Club is sponsoring a rummage sale from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Dogwood Park, 241 7th St. There will be bargains on furniture, dishes, housware, bikes, toys, puzzles and more. All proceeds will go to the Local North Canton Meals on Wheels.
- A Building Doctor Clinic for old-building owners in the North Canton will be held from 7 to 9 p.m. May 18, at Hoover High School, 525 7th St. NE. Building Doctors Lisa Brownell and Mark Epstein will feature guidelines for renovation projects and ways to solve common problems of buildings dating from 1800 to 1955. From 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., May 19, the Building Doctors will visit pre-1955 buildings, advising owners on specific technical or design problems by appointment. The seminar and on-site consultations are free with advance registration. To register, visit building-doctor.org or call 800-499-2470 or 614-298-2000. For more information, contact Doug Lane at 330-499-5100 or email@example.com.
The North Canton Public Library, North Canton Chamber of Commerce, North Canton YMCA and North Canton Jaycees will join forces to kickoff a summer of fun in the center of the city. The event, a STARtacular invites the community to Bitzer Park for Star Wars themed activities beginning at 7 p.m. and an outdoor viewing of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story at dusk. Each organization will provide fun Star Wars themed activities as well as information about the summer fun they have planned for the community. The event is open to all ages; the film is rated PG-13. Refreshments will be available and attendees are encouraged to bring chairs and/or blankets. The park is located at Maple and Main Streets. In the event of rain, the event will be moved to the North Canton YMCA. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 330-499-4712, ext. 331, for more information.
- Painting with Light Workshop with Mark Andres will be held from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. (with a lunch break) at the Massillon Museum. Participants will “paint” their photographic subjects with flashlight beams. The program is for those ages 16 and older. The cost is $50 ($45 MassMu Member). register by May 10 by calling 330-833-4061.
- The Children's and Young Adult Departments of the Massillon Public Library, 208 Lincoln Way E, invite kids in grades 4 to 8 to Escape the Room: Mystery at Stargazer’s Manor at 2:00 p.m. Work as a team to solve puzzles, discover clues and beat the clock. Registration is required for this free program and can be done in person, online, or by phone. Space is limited. For more information or to register call 330-832-9831 ext 317 or visit www.massillonlibrary.org.
- The North Canton Garden Club Perennial Annual Plant Sale will be held from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Dogwood Park, 241 7th Street NE, North Canton. The club recycles pots.
- Aultman Health Foundation is filling open nursing positions across multiple facilities with the organization’s RN Recruitment Fair from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Registered nurses of all experience levels are welcome to attend the event. The fair is not open to licensed practical nurses or current Aultman employees. Aultman hiring managers will be on-site during the fair, where they will walk applicants through the entire hiring process and possibly make contingent job offers. Those seeking nursing positions are encouraged to wear interview attire and to bring at least four copies of their resumes. Online registration is required at www.aultman.org/nursefair. Park in the Aultman College lot off of Dartmouth Avenue. The event will be held on the second floor of Aultman College, located at 2600 Sixth St. SW, in Canton.
- The Ohio State Master Gardener Volunteers of Stark County will be holding their Annual Plant Expo from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Stark County Fairgrounds, Exhibition Hall. A variety of plants will be for sale including perennials, native plants, heirlooms, vegetables, and herbs. Visitors will also have the opportunity to learn from the pros and get answers to gardening questions. Proceeds of the Plant Expo will benefit educational and community outreach programs in Stark County sponsored by the organization. The Expo is open to the public and includes free parking and free admission. Transactions by cash or check only will be accepted. For questions and information please contact 330-477-7333 and email email@example.com.
- The Massillon Museum Brown Bag Lunch program will be held from 12:10 to 12:50 p.m. Curator Heather Haden, Co-Curator Barry Stirbens and Artist David McDowell will hold a Blind Spot Panel Discussion. Bring your lunch or purchase at Andersons. Complimentary cookie and coffee. Free to the public, no reservations needed.
- Heart-healthy Behavior will be presented from 6 to 7 p.m. at Aultman College, at Aultman West, Door 3, 2021 Wales Ave. NW. Learn about behaviors that will keep the heart healthy. Participate in self-assessment activities and learn simple strategies to integrate heart-healthy behaviors into daily life. For more information or to make reservations, call 330-363-8255 or sign up online at www.aultman.org.
- Advance Directives and End-of-life Planning will be presented from 5:30 to 7 p.m. at Canton Christian Home, 2550 Cleveland Ave. NW. Critical illnesses can arise without warning, and loved ones may not know how to treat family members who are unable to speak for themselves. Advance directives allow people to document and communicate their values to their families so that the burden of decision making is not left for them. Learn about living wills and health care power of attorney forms in this interactive presentation. For more information or to make reservations, call 330-363-8255 or sign up online at www.aultman.org.
- The ABCs of Medicare will be presented from 6 to 7:30 p.m. at Aultman West, Door 3, 2021 Wales Ave. NW. Learn what is needed when approaching Medicare eligibility. This educational meeting will help people and their loved ones navigate the Medicare network as they prepare for the future. For more information or to make reservations, call 330-363-8255 or sign up online at www.aultman.org.
First Friends Church of Canton, in association with The Legacy Coalition, is hosting Grandparenting Matters! Conference. Grandparents are incredibly important to their grandchildren and are uniquely positioned to influence them spiritually and otherwise. The conference will be held June 2 and 3 at First Friends Church, 5455 Market Ave N, North Canton. For more information, visit www.firstfriends.org or call 330-966-2800. Register online at eventbrite.com by May 28.
- The Single Seniors will hold a luncheon meeting at 1 p.m. at LaPizzaria, 3656 Dressler Road. Reservations required by calling Norma at 330-452-5889 or Bernie at 330-477-5325.
- The ABCs of Medicare will be presented from 6 to 7:30 p.m. at North Canton Medical Center, Entrance A, 6046 Whipple Ave. NW. Learn what is needed when approaching Medicare eligibility. This educational meeting will help people and their loved ones navigate the Medicare network as they prepare for the future. For more information or to make reservations, call 330-363-8255 or sign up online at www.aultman.org.
- The Massillon Dixieland Jazz Band will present a concert from 7 to 9 p.m. at the Massillon Senior Center, 39 Lincoln Way W. The first part of the evening will feature traditional New Orleans jazz. The second half of the program will be open to musicians, young and old, who want to sit in and jam with the band. On-street parking, as well as two-hour free parking in the parking deck behind the Senior Center building, is available to the public. Handicapped parking is also available on street level beneath the parking deck. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or log onto the library’s website www.massillonlibrary.org.
- Diabetic Foot Care will be presented from 6 to 7 p.m. at North Canton Medical Center Entrance A, 6046 Whipple Ave. NW. Find out how diabetes affects the feet, and learn more about neuropathy, diabetic foot ulcers, infections and wound care. Seating is limited and reservations are required. For more information or to make reservations, call 330-363-8255 or sign up online at www.aultman.org.
- The North Canton Mayor's Fishing Rodeo will be held at Price Park with registration from 8 to 9 a.m. The competition runs from 9 to 10:30 a.m. There will be prizes and refreshments. All children ages 2 to 12 who live in the North Canton School District are invited to join in the fun.
- The Plain Township Fire Department is hosting Walk for Heroes, a fun run or walk at 9 p.m. The cost for runners is a minimum $10 donation and for walkers a minimum $5 donation. Register online at www.GetMeRegistered.com/WalkforHeroes or the day of the event with cash or check. Pre-registration deadline is May 29. All proceeds will go to Heroes Honored, a nonprofit organization. The money earned from the race will go toward flag poles, flags, a concrete walkway, lighting and enhancements to the Veterans’ Memorial.
SURF SHACK, Vacation Bible School for ages 3 through grade 6, will be held June 5 to 9 from 3 to 5:30 p.m. Attend all week or part of the week. Bible Stories-Snacks-Games-Crafts-Prizes and fun. The program is free and bring a friend. Pre-register by calling 330-499-6971 or on www.realhope.us.com .You may also register on the opening day or any day of that week. The program is held at McDonaldsville St. Paul United Methodist Church and Here for You Child Development Center, located in Jackson Township between Portage and Strausser Streets, 7641 Wales NW.
- The Massillon Public Library invites readers to attend its Historical Fiction Book Club as it discusss The Last Days of Night by Graham Moore at 6 p.m. The Massillon Public Library’s Historical Fiction Book Club meets in the library’s auditorium, and is free and open to the public. The library invites members of the community to read this book, then join others for an hour of relaxed discussion. For more information or to reserve your copy, call 330-832-9831, Ext. 312 or visit www.massillonlibrary.org.
- The Massillon Public Library will host Trevor Zahara, author of "Confessions of an OSU Usher." Join in for a unique insider's perspective on Ohio State University football as an OSU usher reveals some of the most humorous, unusual and captivating experiences of this very dedicated group. Zahara will share exclusive stories of coaches and teams and, best of all, what happens in The Horseshoe when the gates are closed. The program is free and will be held in the library’s auditorium and no registration is required. For more information, call the library at 330-832-9831, ext 312, or visit www.massillonlibrary.org. The library is at 208 Lincoln Way East.