NORTH CANTON The North Canton City Schools Board of Education approved the non-renewal of a number of supplemental contracts for certified and classified personnel and winter coaches for the 2017-2018 school year.
The non-renewals included, but were not limited to, classroom instructors, long-term substitutes, individual small group instructors, reading specialists, department chairs, club advisors, career and technical, special education teachers, guidance counselors and auxiliary services personnel.
“This is routine for the district to approve the non-renewal of the supplemental contracts,” said Superintendent Jeff Wendorf.
- Heard an update from food services director Jan Williams who attended the School Nutrition Association’s Legislative Action Conference (LAC) in Washington D.C. She said her LAC group visited with Jim Renacci’s and Bob Gibbs’ national aides and felt they were receptive to their message.
- Heard a presentation from Todd Alkire, Hoover High School Robotics Team and engineering design and digital electronics teacher. He told the board he had 41 students attend the national First Robotics Competition. The team was one of 20 from Ohio to compete. He said the students raised $30,000 to attend the competition and that the team made it through the quarter final round.
- Authorized speech and debate coaches Missy Stertzbach, Jim Kellams and Griffin Allman and Hoover High School students to participate in the National Speech and Debate Tournament in Birmingham, Ala., with no cost to the board.
- Approved the Hoover High School marching band members and Band Director Ronald Varn to attend the annual Band Camp at Edinboro University in Edinboro, Pa., July 23-28 with no cost to the board except for transportation expenses.
- Approved a contract with Schoology Learning Management System for the 2017-2018 school year for $22,305.
- Approved participation in the Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT) Winter contract to purchase 50 tons of road salt, effective October 1, 2017 through April 30, 2018.
- Approved an athletic training agreement with Mercy Medical Center for the 2017-2018 school year for $26,775.
- Authorized billing the North Canton YMCA for field lining at $30 an hour for labor, $42.50 per gallon for five gallons of white paint and $59 per gallon for five gallons of yellow paint.
- Accepted the donation of $1,000 from David Farniacci, DDS, for the cost of t-shirts for second grade students performing in the production of “Pirates” at Clearmount Elementary School.
UP NEXT: The next regular meeting will be 6:00 p.m., May 17 in the media room at Hoover High School.