JACKSON During the regular meeting on April 11, the Jackson Township Trustees approved purchasing a new ambulance for the fire department. The ambulance is a 2018 Freightliner Custom Highliner for a cost of $238,370 from Pfund Superior Sales Co.
Township administrator Michael Vaccaro said this will be the first ambulance put in service in the township that is equipped with an auto cot loader. Additional equipment still needs to be purchased to fully equip the ambulance. The township is trading in a 2003 ambulance with 120,000 miles on it.
Fire Chief Tracy Hogue said the ambulances are heavily used, “We made 36 ambulance calls in just one day last week so the ambulances wear out pretty quickly.”
Hogue also mentioned that the money to pay for the vehicle will come from the general fund versus monies from the fire levy.
- Held a Joint Economic Development District (JEDD) meeting with representatives from the city of Canton and Scott Fitzpatrick of Dressler Properties to adopt bylaws, elect officers and adopt a levy for income tax and an income tax agreement for a JEDD contract. The contract involves six empty partials of land bordering Applegrove Street NW and Frank Avenue, behind the Home Depot in Jackson Township. The 2-percent income tax levy is for wages of workers for future businesses locating on the six partials and will be split between Canton and Jackson Township.
- Issued two proclamations: The first was for the Jackson High School Speech & Debate team for winning the Ohio High School Speech League competition. The trustees declared April 11 as the official JHS Speech and Debate Team Appreciation Day. The second proclamation was for the Jackson High School varsity boys basketball team for winning the 2017 Division I State Basketball Championship.
- Approved paying bills in the amount of $1.58 million.
- Conditionally appointed Mason Dottavio as a part-time patrol officer and Arick Cook as a full-time patrol officer. The two officers will be hired conditional upon passing all background tests.
- Swore in Nicholas C. Hesse as a full-time officer at an annual salary of $51,039, effective April 14.
- Accepted a donation of a $25 Panera gift card from Margie Johnson and Judi Lyons to the administration department.
- Accepted sponsorship donations to the 2017 Community Celebration as follows: $750 from Merry Maids; $250 each from Pfund Superior Sales Co. and Sunset Hills Burial Park; $100 each from Sport Clips Haircuts, The Engraver’s Edge and Tom Jackson Commercial Real Estate.
- Awarded the 2017 resurfacing project contract to the lowest bidder, Northstar Asphalt, for a maximum amount of $1.4 million.
- Awarded the 2017 curbing replacement contract to the lowest bidder, T.R. Snyder Construction, for a maximum total of $71,160.
- Accepted a retirement notice from Fire Department Capt. Ray Green with 25 years of service, effective April 18.
- Accepted a resignation notice from Connie R. Holla, ambulance billing specialist, effective April 11.
REMINDER: Jackson Parks’ Fishing Derby is 8 to 11 a.m. May 6 at Jackson North Park for children age 15 and under. Program is free but participants must register at the town hall by May 5.
UP NEXT: The next regularly scheduled meeting is 5 p.m., April 25 at the Township Hall.