- Enjoy an evening of foot stompin' blue grass music and a covered dish dinner from 6 to 9:30 p.m. at the Manchester United Methodist Church, 5625 Manchester Road at Center Road. Bring your favorite covered dish to share for dinner at 7:30 p.m. The church is wheelchair accessible. Donations welcome. For more information, call 330-882-4818.
- The United Methodist Church in Uniontown is hosting a cabbage roll dinner from 4 to 7 p.m. Dine in or carry out. The cost is $10 for adults, $5 for children. Buy a six pack of cabbage rolls for $13. They freeze up to 3 months. For more information, call 330-699-3587 or visit www.uniontownchurch.com.
- From 12:30 to 3:30 p.m., join in an Archery Open Shoot at Firestone Metro Park/Coventry Oaks Area, 40 Axline Ave. Register for a half-hour time slot to improve your shot. Participants must have already taken our introductory and archery games programs. All equipment provided. Advance registration is required. For information, call 330-865-8065.
- The University of Akron's Adult Focus program is holding an Adult, Military and Transfer Student Visit Day at 9 a.m. During the event, prospective students will receive a campus tour, financial aid information and the opportunity to talk with an academic advisor. For more information, visit www.uakron.edu/uaaf/.
- Archery games for kids will be held from 12:30 to 2 p.m. and from 2:30 to 4 p.m. for adults at Firestone Metro Park/Coventry Oaks Area, 40 Axline Ave. Ages 9 to 15 will play different games to build archery skills in a fun and exciting way. Participants must have already taken one of Metro Parks intro to archery programs. All equipment and hands-on instruction provided. Must be 50 inches or taller. Advance registration is required. For information, call 330-865-8065.
- Gospel artist David Staton will perform at 5 p.m. at Manchester United Methodist Church, 5625 Manchester Road, New Franklin. Staton is a Grammy Award nominated artist who has been performing across the country since 1990. For more information, call the church at 330-882-4818.
- The Activities Together Club is helping to beat the winter blues by sponsoring a fun-filled cornhole tournament fundraiser to benefit United Disability Services’ All-Star Training Club. The tournament will be from 1 to 5 p.m. in the LeBron James Arena at St. Vincent-St. Mary High School, 15 North Maple Street. The event will be a pool play, single elimination bracket tournament with prizes given to the top four teams. The cost is $40 per two-person team (substitutions allowed at any time). All proceeds will help to cover the cost of training events for Special Olympics athletes served by the All-Star Training Club in Summit County, and to provide scholarships for All-Star Training Club sports programs. For registration or business sponsorship information, contact Dan Lancianese at 330-352-5602 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- From 10:30 to 11:30 a.m., children 3 to 6 and their adult companions learn about our slithery snake friends. Includes a hike and craft. The program is held at Goodyear Heights Metro Park/Goodyear Lodge, 2077 Newton Street. Make other arrangements for younger children unable to remain in infant seats or strollers. Advance registration is required. For information, call 330-865-8065.
- A Lenten Mission, "Igniting the Light of Christ Within You," will be held each evening at 7 p.m. from March 20-22 at Queen of Heaven Church, 1800 Steese Road. Through inspirational spoken words and uplifting, contemporary music, Paul Koleske will present Connecting with the Light of Christ-Monday, Experiencing the Light of Christ-Tuesday and Living the Light of Christ-Wednesday. A social will follow the presentation on Wednesday for more information, call 330-896-2345.
- Historian Mike Kovacevich talks about Edwin Stanton, a nationally acclaimed attorney who was also involved in politics, at 6 p.m. at the Green Branch Library. Kovacevich was appointed as secretary of war at the beginning of the second year of the Civil War, and proved to be extremely capable at the job. He and Lincoln became close colleagues and developed a strong mutual respect for each other.
- Grace United Church of Christ (UCC) in Uniontown invites any individuals in the surrounding area to share a meal and fellowship with others, to join in from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Whether you’re in need of a good home-cooked meal or would simply enjoy some companionship over lunch, join in. The church is at 13275 Cleveland Avenue, a quarter mile north of Route 619 and across the street from Uniontown Elementary. Lunch will be served in the church’s Family Activity Center. For more information, call the church office on Monday at 330-699-3255.
- The Friends of the Tudor House will present a free Euchre Day from 1 to 4 p.m. at the Tudor House, 655 Latham Lane, New Franklin. Only 40 seats are available. RSVP by calling Judy Williams at 330-882-4415 or email email@example.com.
- Join the Green Branch Library with Adventures in Literature discussing A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s court by Mark Twain from 12:30 to 3 p.m. The library is at 4046 Massillon Road. For more information, call 330-896-9074 or visit www.akronlibrary.org. Feel free to bring your lunch.
- Wandering Aesthetics, Jilly's Music Room and The Akronist is invited the public to tell their story for free during Full Circle Storytelling from 7-10 p.m. at Jilly's Music Room, 111 N. Main St., Akron. The event is part of World Storytelling Day. Registration is encouraged. Visit www.watheatre.com/fullcircle or email info@watheatre for more information.
- From 9 to 11 a.m., new and experienced birdwatchers can view ducks, geese and other water birds during the spring migration. Bring binoculars or a spotting scope. Nimisila Reservoir Metro Park/Lot SM2, 5531 S. Main Street. For more information, call 330-865-8065.
- Learn and listen for the calls of spring peepers, wood frogs, northern leopard frogs, pickerel frogs, and western chorus frogs. Please bring your own flashlights and wear waterproof hiking shoes. The program is from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. at Springfield Bog Metro Park, 1400 Portage Line Road. For information, call 330-865-8065.
- Shake off winter by joining Metro Parks for a hike and breakfast from 8 to 10:30 a.m. Participants will be asked to contribute to the meal. It is held at Goodyear Heights Metro Park/Goodyear Lodge, 2077 Newton Street. For information, call 330-865-8065.
- The Green Branch Library, 4046 Massillon Road, is holding Line Dancing at 11 a.m. presented by Lisa Kelleman-McClain from Build A Body Personal Training. Register in advance by calling 330-896-9074 or visiting www.akronlibrary.org.
Pre-Cana-Engaged Couple Retreat will be held March 26 at Loyala Retreat House, 700 Killinger Road. The day retreat is for engaged couples preparing for the Holy Sacrament of Matrimony. The day will include prayer, presentations, quiet reflection time, Mass and dinner. Registration is at 11:15 a.m. and Mass is at 12 noon. Departure is following the 6:45 p.m. closing. Dress is casual. The cost is $75 per couple. For more information call 330-896-2315 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit loyolaretreathouse.com to register.
- Cleveland Clinic Akron General LifeStyles is offering a free lecture series, "NuFit: Nutrition & Fitness Education for a New You!" at the Green Health & Wellness Center, 1940 Town Park Blvd. Each hour-long program covers two topics and provides information about the latest in nutrition and fitness, new recipes, tips and more from a registered dietitian and fitness expert. The class will focus on "Coconut Water: Is It All It’s Cracked Up to Be?" and "Fat Loss vs Weight Loss." The class is held from 6 to 7 p.m. Call to register at 330-896-5000.
- Low-Cost Glucose and Cholesterol Screenings will be held at Akron General Community Access & Wellness in Green, 1940 Town Park Blvd., from 8:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. To measure LDL cholesterol and triglycerides, be sure to fast for at least twelve hours. No appointments required. Free parking is provided. Screenings are done by a finger-stick test. Costs range from $12 to $58 depending upon the combination of tests ordered. Cash, check or credit card accepted. Call 330-665-8248 with questions or visit www. akrongeneral.org/screenings.
- The Greater Akron Audubon Society will meet at 7 p.m. at the Mingo Shelter in the Sand Run MetroPark in Akron. The public is welcome. Lisa Rainsong of the Cleveland Institute of Music will present "The Chorus Returns to the Stage – Bird Song and Amphibian Song in March." Visit www.akronaudubon.org, for questions call 330-645-0953 or email email@example.com.
- Join the Green Branch Library, 4046 Massillon Road, with Adventures in Literature discussing The Plague by Albert Camus from 12:30 to 3 p.m. For more information, call 330-896-9074 or visit www.akronlibrary.org. Feel free to bring your lunch.
- Author Talk with Scott Longert will be held at 6:30 p.m. at the Green Branch Library. Longert will share life in baseball at a particularly critical time for Cleveland as well as the country. His book, "No Money, No Beer, No Pennants: The Cleveland Indians and Baseball in the Great Depression" will be available for purchase.