- The Summit County Master Gardeners are hosting a Gardening Series which will be held from 9:15 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. (doors open at 8:45) March 4 and 11 at Presentation of Our Lord Orthodox Church, 3365 Ridgewood Road in Fairlawn. Presenters will discuss a variety of gardening topics. Registration for the full two-day series is $60 per person; one day tickets are $37.50. Continental breakfast and lunch are included. To register, or for more information, visit the Summit County Master Gardener website at www.summitmastergardeners.org/.
- Enjoy and evening of foot stompin' blue grass music and a covered dish dinner from 6 to 9:30 p.m. at the Manchester United Methodist Church, 5625 Manchester Road (at Center Road). Bring your favorite covered dish to share for dinner at 7:30 p.m. The church is wheelchair accessible. Donations welcome. For more information, call 330-882-4818.
- A Swiss Steak Dinner will be held from 5 to 7 p.m. at the McDonaldsville St. Paul United Methodist Church, 7641 Wales NW, Jackson Township. All profits go to local community outreach and mission projects. The cost of the dinner for adults-$8, children-$3.50, 2 and under-free. Carryout and gluten free are offered. For more information call 330-499-6971. If Jackson Schools are not in session that day then the dinner is canceled.
- The distinguished 2017 Akron Heart Ball will be held from 6 p.m. to 11 p.m. at the Hilton Akron/Fairlawn. The lifesaving event will shine the spotlight on the mission of building healthier lives, free of cardiovascular diseases and stroke and support ongoing health research and education in communities across the nation. The theme is "The Carnival of Life" and guests will enjoy entertainment, featuring both a live and silent auction with many exciting items, a heart healthy dinner and entertainment from Special Request. A silent auction will be conducted via bidding from guests’ mobile devices. To volunteer for the Akron Heart Ball, obtain sponsorship information or reserve your seat, contact Edwin Hubbard Jr. at 330-664-1907 or Edwin.email@example.com. Additional information may also be found at akronheartball.heart.org.
- Snow Art will be held at Firestone Metro Park/Tuscarawas Meadows Area, 2620 Harrington Road. Come out and learn new, creative ways to brighten your days and enjoy the snowy weather. Dress to play outdoors. For information, call 330-865-8065.
- The Summit Bridal Show will be held from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. Saturday and 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday providing area couples with information on how to create the perfect wedding experience. The event is free and open to the public. Brides and grooms can pre-register online at http://bit.ly/SummitBridal and be entered to win a $100 Gift Card to The Twisted Olive. Exhibits will include bridal gowns, tuxedos, ceremony and reception venues, catering, rentals, photographers, party favors, DJ services, wedding cakes and more. A fashion show will take place at 2 p.m. Sign up for a chance to play the Nearly Newlywed Game and the Price is Right at the Bridal Show registration table Saturday morning in center court or register at www.Facebook.com/SummitBridalShow.
- "I Dream of Spring" will be held from 2 to 3 p.m. at Firestone Metro Park/Coventry Oaks area, 40 Axline Ave. Wildflowers, butterflies and birds are on their way. Cheer up with a slideshow of all things spring. For information, call 330-865-8065.
- An adult Financial Planning presentation will be held at the Green Branch Library at 6 p.m. The program is presented by Robert Moser of Edward Jones. Register in advance at the library or by calling 330-896-9074. The library is at 4046 Massillon Road.
- From 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. at Goodyear Lodge in Goodyear Heights Metro Park, is a program about owls for children 3 to 6 years old and their adult companions. Youngsters can discover "whooo" is raising the young this time of year and includes a hike and craft. Please make other arrangements for younger children unable to remain in infant seats or strollers. Registration required. For information or to register, call 330-865-8065. The park is located at 2077 Newton Street.
- Attend a free information session on weight-loss surgery hosted by Cleveland Clinic Akron General’s Bariatric Center at 6 p.m. at Akron General Hospital, 1 Akron General Avenue. Led by bariatric surgeons, each session will give an overview of the different types of weight-loss surgeries offered, who may qualify and the support provided by Akron General’s Bariatric Center before and after surgery. In addition, attendees will hear about the patient journey first-hand from post-operative patients, and an insurance coordinator will be on hand to answer any questions regarding coverage, eligibility and average cost. There is no cost to attend, but registration is appreciated and can be completed by calling 330-344-1950 or by registering online at akrongeneral.org/bariatric.
- Grace United Church of Christ (UCC), 13275 Cleveland Ave., Uniontown, invites any individuals in the surrounding area who would like to share a meal and fellowship with others, to join us monthly every third Tuesday (Feb. 21) for a free community lunch from 11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. The church is a quarter mile north of Route 619 across from Uniontown Elementary. For more information, call 330-699-3255 between 9 a.m. and noon Monday through Friday.
- A Ladies Night Out will be held from 6 to 10 p.m. at Kaisk Community Chiropractic, 1327 Canton Road, Suite B. Dr. Mike Kaisk is hosting the evening. It is tailored to provide time just for women. Bring friends, some good jokes and join the party. Light refreshments, wine tastings and lady vendors. A chance to win a raffle basket with items from all the vendors. To RSVP or for more information call Megan at 234-813-9200.
- Kent's BeatleFest presented by Wayside Furniture with free entrance into more than 16 venues in downtown Kent where you will find some of the best bands performing the songs of the most famous band, the Beatles. Visit www.wayside-furniture.com or call 877-499-3968 for more information.
- Heartful Hike and Breakfast will be held from 8 to 10:30 a.m. at Goodyear Heights Metro Park, 2077 Newton Street. Join in for a brisk winter hike and hearty breakfast. Participants will be asked to contribute to the feast. For information or to register, call 330-865-8065.
- Couples 18 and older can join in the fun of Archery Games for Couples from 10:30 a.m. to noon. Play different games to build archery skills in a fun and exciting way. Participants must have already taken one of the Intro to Archery programs. All equipment and hands-on instruction provided. Register in advance by calling 330-865-8065. The park is at 40 Axline Ave.
- Do you have what it takes to survive the winter ... underwater? Stroll along the Towpath Trail to learn how aquatic creatures battle the cold. The Metro Park's program will be held from 1:30 to 3 p.m. at the Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail/Manchester Road Trailhead, 2740 Manchester Road. For information, call 330-865-8065.
- From 1 to 2:30 p.m., join in the fun of Archery Games for Families at Firestone Park. Families with children 9 and older will play different games to build archery skills. Participants must have already taken one of the Intro to Archery programs. All equipment and hands-on instruction provided. Must be 50 inches or taller. For information, call 330-865-8065. Firestone Metro Park/Coventry Oaks Area is at 40 Axline Avenue.
- An Archery Open Shoot will be held from 12:30 to 3:30 p.m. at Firestone Metro Park/Coventry Oaks Area, 40 Axline Ave. Register for a half-hour time slot to improve your shot. Participants must have already taken our Intro to Archery and Archery Games programs. All equipment provided. For information, or to register call 330-865-8065.
- Author Ann Kathleen Otto will discuss her book "Yours In A Hurry" at 6 p.m. at the Green Branch Library. Otto's novel is about a family in turn-of-the-century Ohio. For more information, call 330-896-9074. The library is at 4046 Massillon Road.
- Hike more than five miles at a vigorous pace with few, if any, rest stops. Beginners are welcome, but talk to your doctor before beginning a new exercise routine. The hike is from 1 to 2:30 p.m. at the Goodyear Heights Metro Park/Pioneer Area, 550 Frazier Avenue. For information, call 330-865-8065.
- A spiritual reflection and feast will be held for the preparation of Lent. The evening will be directed by Abbot Clement Zeleznik, and begins with a social at 5:30 p.m. Dinner will be served at 6:15 p.m. and the reflection will be at 7:30 p.m. The cost is $25 per person. For more information, call 330-896-2315 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit loyolaretreathouse.com to register.
- Akron General Community Access and Wellness is offering low-cost glucose and cholesterol screenings from 8:30 to 11 a.m. at Green Health and Wellness Center, 1940 Town Park Blvd. To measure LDL cholesterol and triglycerides, fast for at least twelve hours. No appointments required and free parking is provided. Cholesterol and blood glucose screenings are done by a finger-stick test. Costs range from $12 to $58 depending upon the combination of tests ordered. Cash, check or credit card accepted. Call 330-665-8248 with questions.
- The Cleveland Clinic Akron General LifeStyles is offering a free lecture on "NuFit: Nutrition & Fitness Education for a New You!" The hour-long program covers two topics and provides information about the latest in nutrition and fitness, new recipes, tips and more from a registered dietitian and fitness expert. The class will focus on "Busting the Top 10 Carb Myths" and "Fit or Fiction." It is held from 6 to 7 p.m. at the Green Health and Wellness Center, 1940 Town Park Blvd. To register, call 330-896-5000.
- Antique and Classic Bicycle and Motorbike Show and Swap Meet will be held at Nativity of the Lord Jesus Catholic Church Hall. Admission is free. The church is located at 2425 Myersville Road. For information, contact Dan Schwaberow at 330-699-4517, Ron Ashley at 330-899-9447, or Bob Hirschfelt at 330-699-9798.
- Portage County Chapter No. 600 of International Parents Without Partners will hold its monthly dance from 7:30 to 11 p.m. at Ritchie Memorial Shelter House, 109 West Ave., Tallmadge. Those members and non-members who bring two cans of vegetables will be given a discount of $1 toward the admission charge. One can will be for the "Muligan Stew" being served. The other will go to the Center for Hope food pantry in Ravenna. For more information, call Warrine at 330-322-9559.
- Portage Lakes AARP 2213 will meet at 11 a.m. Acme Fresh Market, 3235 Manchester Road. Lunch will be at noon. A Business meeting and entertainment will follow. Visitors are welcome. For more information, call 330-882-6019.