An organizational meeting of the Springfield Township Board of Trustees was held Dec. 29. During the meeting, trustees finalized business from 2016.
Business items approved for 2016 included:
- Carryover vacations for non-contract and contract personnel as authorized by non-contract policy manual and union contracts.
- Approved wages for non-contract personnel.
- Increased the township’s FirstMerit total credit card limit to $20,000 in order to fulfill departmental card increases already approved in a prior motion.
Approved for the Fire Department:
- The purchase of tools, equipment and materials from Finley Fire Equipment to be placed on the new tender truck at an amount not to exceed $4,000.
- Approved retroactively to make transfers for covering payroll.
- Repay in advance for special election expenses of $9,407.73
Approved for the Police Department:
- A resolution declaring it necessary to renew an existing 3.0 mill tax levy and to increase the levy by 1.5 mill.
- Approval to repay advances of $152,456.05 to cover expenses until 2016 tax revenues were received.
Approved for the Zoning Department:
- A nuisance abatement meeting rescheduled for 947 Mohawk from Jan. 19 to Feb. 9 at 6:00 pm.
- Retroactively transferred $1,500 to cover zoning payroll.
Approved for the Parks Department:
- A retroactive transfer of $200 for rental deposit refunds.
- A resolution declaring it necessary to place an additional 2.0 mill tax levy.
- After the business for 2016 was approved and completed the board began the organizational meeting electing Joe DiLauro as chairman and Dean Young as vice chairman.
Trustee liaison appointments were made for the year:
Trustee/Issue I/District 8/Contracts: Dean Young
Trustee/NEFCO: Deborah Davis
Trustee/Township Waste Management: Deborah Davis
Trustee/News Media: Dean Young
Trustee/Comm. Dev. Block Grant (CDBG): Joe DiLauro
Trustee/AMATS: Dean Young
Health District Representative: Joe DiLauro
All trustees are assigned as liaisons for the operations of the Township departments - zoning, police, fire, parks, road, and the community/senior center.
Young moved to accept the 2017 Organizational Resolution which included:
- Appointing five board members to the Volunteer Fire Fighters Dependents fund including Davis, DiLauro, Fire Chief Vic Wincik, Capt. Steve Simich and Fiscal Officer Sharon Harms.
- The township will continue to bank with First Merit.
- The mileage rate will be set at 53 cents a mile for township business in personal vehicles.
- Legal counsel to be provided by the Okey Law Firm with Attorney Warren Price at a base retainer fee of $2,500 per month. Representation on labor matters will be provided by Clemans, Nelson and Associates per Managemen Consultant Agreement in effect as of Sept. 17, 2011, and on file in the Fiscal Office.
- The board approved that all current administrative personnel, non-union employees, or at-will employees shall be rehired beginning January 1.
- The board re-appointed Office Manager Amie Biltz as the records custodian/manager of the Township’s public records.
The meeting was adjourned with the next regular trustees meeting being held at 6 p.m. Thursday at the Town Hall located on Canfield Road.