The shrine commemorates six miraculous Lady of Fatima sightings that took place in Fatima, Portugal, between May 13 and Oct. 13, 1917.
CLINTON Loyola Retreat House and Queen of Heaven Catholic Church will celebrate the 100th anniversary of the Our Lady of Fatima Shrine on May 13 at the retreat house at 700 Killinger Road.
An outdoor rosary procession and May crowning will begin at 4 p.m., followed by a Mass at 4:30 p.m, and a social.Bring a lawn chair. Advance registration is requested to help organizers provide food and materials; however, it is not required to attend. The shrine commemorates six miraculous Lady of Fatima sightings that took place in Fatima, Portugal, between May 13 and Oct. 13, 1917. The history of the shrine at Loyola Retreat House began in 1948, with the formation of the Fatima Pilgrimage Committee by five parishioners from St. Andrew’s Church. Their purpose was to place statues of Our Lady of Fatima in homes throughout the community for 24 hours at a time and encourage the families in these homes to pray the rosary for world peace. At the 50th anniversary of Fatima, the committee made plans to erect a commemorative shrine on the grounds of Loyola Retreat House. They funded the project through donations and by collecting soda and beer cans, raising $14,700. The statues of Our Lady and the three children were designed by Pat White & Associates of Canton. They were sculptured by Barzenti of Pietro Santo, Italy, from white Cararra marble. The lights for the shrine path came from the Palace Theatre in Canton, which was slated to be razed before it was saved. The shrine was dedicated on Oct. 4, 1970, and blessed by Bishop Clarence B. Issenmann of Cleveland.