News and notes from the local sports scene.
- Coventry won 10 of 14 weight classes in a 64-15 wrestling win over Norwayne and followed the triumph with a 46-20 defeat of perennial state power St. Vincent-St. Mary. Four Comets posted 2-0 records in the victories as the team lifted its record to 24-2.
- Behind 29 points from Ashley Barker, the Mogadore girls basketball team ran its record to 13-0 with a Portage Trail Conference win over Rootstown.
- Dominic Poletta took first place in the 100 butterfly and 100 backstroke, Jacob Doney won the 500 freestyle and the winning 400 freestyle relay team of Carter Hickman, Josh Atkinson, Doney and Poletta placed first in the Bulldogs' 101-68 loss to Jackson.
- Lake Center Christian boys basketball team rallied with 53 second-half points to win its fifth game of the season 83-57 over Canton Heritage Christian.
- Robbie Mahaney, a 2008 graduate of Green High School, recently was named coach of the year at Ashland Mapleton High School. Mahaney is a social studies teacher at Mapleton as well as the head football coach.
- Sophomore center Bryce Hargrove scored a career-high 28 points as Coventry tallied a 74-67 non-league win over Kenmore. Hargrove is averaging 13.8 points, 8.1 rebounds and 2.2 blocks per game.
- Zach Williams led Springfield boys bowling to a win over Norton with a high game of 227 and a high series of 448 as the Spartans won their third match of the season. The girls team notched its sixth win, topping the Panthers 2,241-2,067.
- Katie Kussow won the 100 freestyle and finished second behind teammate Megan Leibensperger in the 200 freestyle as Green girls swimming fell to Jackson 94-76 .
- Lake boys basketball received one first-place vote in the Associated Press Division I poll and was ranked sixth.
- Senior Devin Elekes narrowly missed his second 300 game of the season, rolling a high game of 299 as Coventry boys bowling topped Ravenna 2,572-2,462 to hand the Ravens their first loss. Daniel Thomas rolled a 257 for the Comets. The varsity girls team also topped the Ravens 2,289-1,960 to up its record to 6-3.
- Austin Marciniak scored a team-high 26 points in Green's 54-43 Suburban League loss to Tallmadge.
- Andy Harris