As 2013 draws to a close, the Green City Council is preparing for 2014.
During its Dec. 10 session, council honored two seasoned council members who will be vacating their seats in January. Jim Colopy and Dave France, who have served 10 and 16 years, respectively, were recognized for the time they have invested in the community. Vice President Gerard Neugebauer presented Colopy and France with plaques.
This was their last meeting as council members.
RIGHT OF WAY
During the Dec. 10 session, council again reviewed the right-of-way issue at Berna Road/Tim Drive.
The right-of-way issue affects four abutting property owners: Brian Fitzgibbon, David Strittmatter, Sharon Wright and Sarah, Robert Jr. and Susan Schutte. To date, property owners have not been able to come to an agreement regarding 25 feet of the western portion of the right-of-way. It is not determined who shoud own and responsibly care for that property.
City Law Director Steven Pruneski said the issue is currently before Summit County Court of Common Pleas Judge Thomas Teodosio.
Pruneski said the proposed resolution is one that would not vacate the road. Instead, it would allow the Schutte family to take out a permit to put in a driveway within the right-of-way to the rear of Fitzgibbon's driveway.
Since this is a request to not vacate the road, the city would then be required to provide and maintain gravel on the 20-by-24 feet of roadway from the back of Fitzgibbons driveway to Berna Road. This would also require the city to remove some trees that fall within the right-of-way.
In other business Dec. 10, council:
- Passed a resolution requesting the State of Ohio Director of Transportation to change the speed limit for Mt. Pleasant Street between Frank Aveenue and the Pittsburg Avenue-Mayfair Road intersection. The speed limit would be reduced from 55 mpg to 45 mph.
- Passed a resolution authorizing the Green to enter into a consent judgment entry to resolve litigation filed by Josephine Murdocco, Jeffrey A. Davis, Julie A. Davis and Redwood Management Company. The suit was filed regarding the rezoning of two parcels of property approximately 12 acres of land on Arlington Road.
- Passed the 2014 annual operating budget. The budget accounts for $34,607,604.
- Passed the creation of a street lighting district for Kings Ridge Phase IV subdivision. The owners of 16 lots will be assessed the operation and maintenance cost of the lights. The developer will be responsible for the installation and construction costs.
- Scheduled a public hearing for 7 p.m. Jan. 14 to discuss a rezoning request for approximately 61 acres of land located at 1745 Koons Road. The rezoning, if approved, would change from PD-1 (Planned Development) to R-1 (Single Family Residential).
The next Green City Council meeting is at 7 p.m. Jan. 14 at the Central Administration Building, 1755 Town Park Blvd.