The city schools are preparing for a levy renewal.
During a November school board meeting, Superintendent Jeff Miller and Treasurer Eydie Snowberger discussed a $4.1 million emergency levy that is set to expire in December 2014.
While both the administration and the board are not assuming that the levy would pass, it was included in the five-year forecast because it is a necessity for the continued operations of the school.
The renewal levy would not increase taxes.
No action was taken to place the issue on an upcoming ballot, but the district is discussing taking the renewal with voters in May or November. Placing the issue on a special election ballot would be more costly.
In other business Nov. 25 the board
• Recognized the students of the month: Alaina Washington (Greenwood), Olivia Cooper (Green Primary), Christopher Plummer (Green Intermediate), Braden Beyer (Green Middle) and Lauren Rossiter and Ricky Lovell (Green High).
• Accepted donations of $600 from Award Fundraising and the Green Baseball/Softball Federation for the Bulldog Bash and $4,000 from the Lou Rawls Foundation for the Bulldog Bash.
• Approved the financial report and payment of bills by the superintendent and treasurer for October.
• Approved the hiring of the law firm of Means, Bichimer, Burkholder and Baker through the Stark County Educational Service Center for a legal hotline at a reduced rate to supplement the legal services of Fred Compton.
• Approved a contract with the Department of the Air Force for the Air Force Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) Unit at Green High.
• Approved a letter of intent to CCG Energy Solutions, Inc for a district-wide audit for the possible development of an energy refit for the school system. The audit may help to show ways to lower the cost of energy to the district. This will be done at zero cost to the district. At this point no further steps have been taken beyond approval of the audit.
The next Green Local Board meeting will be 6:30 p.m. Dec. 16 in the Central Administration Building(CAB) in Council Chambers.