Massillon woman injured in Monday fire died Thursday morning in Akron Children's Hospital.
A Massillon woman died Thursday morning in the burn center at Akron Children's Hospital from injuries she suffered in a house fire Monday afternoon.
Nancy Hamilton, 70, was rescued by city firefighters Monday when neighbors called 911 after seeing smoke billowing from her Cyprus Drive SE home.
She was taken to Affinity Medical Center and transported by helicopter to Akron. She died at 4:50 a.m. Thursday, said Reggie Winters, fire inspector with the Massillon Fire Department.
Gary Guenther, chief investigator with the Summit County Medical Examiner's Office said Hamilton had burned over 80 percent of her body. He said a final ruling on her death will be made after Massillon fire and police officials complete their investigation.
Detectives found evidence — written instructions directed to family members, which were left in a vehicle parked down the road from Hamilton's home — that showed the fire was the result of an attempted suicide.
Fire Chief Thomas Burgasser said in a new release that the fire spread rapidly throughout the house, and that gasoline was used to start the fire in a number of places in the house.