News and notes from the local sports scene.
Manchester girls soccer saw its season end in heartbreak as the top-seeded Panthers dropped a 1-0 overtime loss to Smithville in a Brunswick Division II district final. Kaylee Ferguson (First Team All-District) and Morgan Schaber (Second Team All-District) received postseason honors and Ferguson and Karley Dougherty were named to the Greater Akron Scholastic Soccer Coaches Association All-Star team.
- Lake Center Christian received 19 digs from Molly Smith and 11 assists from Lindsay Kline, but fell in four sets to Kidron Central Christian (15-25, 12-25, 25-23, 23-25) in a Medina Division IV district semifinal to finish its season at 16-9.
- Six different players scored a touchdown for Mogadore as the Wildcats routed Waterloo for their 20th straight win over the Vikings.
- Jacob Kernell continued a strong postseason by placing 17th overall at the Boardman Division I regional cross country meet, running a time of 16:43.92.
- Senior receiver Devin Elekes had a big night with eight receptions for 84 yards and one touchdown for Coventry in a loss to Field.
- Green boys soccer could not overcome a 2-1 halftime deficit, falling 3-1 to Copley in a Uniontown Division I district semifinal. Kenton Keesler tallied the lone goal for the Bulldogs in defeat.
- Despite a strong performance in goal by Chris McQuistion, the Lake Center Christian boys soccer team could not generate enough offense against second-seeded Canfield South Range in a 2-0 district semifinal loss.
- Nathan Tepus averaged better than 8 yards per carry and scored a touchdown for Green in a home win over Copley.
- Jade Smith (22nd - 19:59.82) and Laura Tweedie (25th - 20:07.96) ran well for Lake girls cross country, but could not advance out of the Boardman Division I regional cross country meet.
- Springfield quarterback Aaron James has thrown for at least 145 yards in each of his first six games since becoming the starter.
- Junior defensive tackle Kyle Kelly (Manchester) had two tackles and a sack for Walsh in the Cavaliers' 30-29 win over Tiffin.
- Green's Alyssa Thomas ran a personal best time of 19:52 and placed 27th at the Boardman Division I regional cross country meet, while Noah Schaub represented the boys team and placed 40th in a time of 17:01.